Here are some simple things you can do - today - to find and prevent bugs in your code. These take very little effort to implement and do not cost any money. (And typically don't require management approval.)
- Turn on warnings.
- Make warnings break the build.
- Review your code.
- Get a review buddy.
- Track all of your defects.
- Where found (file, class, and/or function/method)
- How found (self, compile, peer, test, qa, field)
- "Type" - some brief description to define the type or category of defect